Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Chords in the Key of A

As I said in an earlier post, I have began learning the guitar. The one thing that I was having some trouble with was when someone says "that is in the key of ?" (place whatever note you which there). Well I think I got a handle on it, somewhat. This is my understanding of it, please correct me if I say something wrong. Here goes:


Below you will find chords in the key A.

The formula for finding out how chords in a key are put together are these steps.

1.      Pattern of a major scale: WWHWWWH (W=Whole Step, H=Half Step)

A.      ABC#DEF#G#A  Between A and B whole step. Between B and C# whole step. Between C#  and D half step. Between D and E whole step. Between E and F# whole step. Between F# and G #whole step. Between G# and A half step.

2.      Chord quality is : MmmMMmoM  (M=major, m=minor, o=diminished)

      A.  ABmC#mDEF#mG#dim

3.      Sharp = #, Flat = b. (C, C#, D, D#, E, F, F#, G, G#, A, A#, B, C) or (C, Db, D, Eb, E, F, Gb, G, Ab, A, Bb, B, C)
 
The note of the key tells what the first chord is. The key of C begins with the C chord and so forth



       
 
 
 
 
I will post more chords in the different  keys in another post. I will also post a review of a book I am reading , but more about that later. See ya.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment